lunes, 23 de julio de 2012

Mass is something really boring? (IV)

Let's continue with this) Any real relationship requires both parties to be active. This is especially true in our relationship with God as well as with one another.  A real relationship is not about what ‘I’ can get. A real relationship is about what ‘I’ give, confident that I will receive.  Mass (as a fundamental part of our relationship with God) likewise is not about what ‘I’ can get.  Mass is about what ‘I’ give, confident that I will receive. If you find yourself saying, “I don’t like the priest.”  “I don’t like the music.”  I don’t feel like I am getting anything out of Mass.”  “I don’t want to miss the football game.”  Then respectfully I challenge you to reevaluate what you believe the purpose of the Mass is for.  If you are saying and believing any of these things, then you are missing what the Mass is about. I am not immune to this and I daresay neither is anyone reading this.  Going to Mass is about growing in relationship with God.  This relationship with God should never be dependent upon the priest, music, liturgical style, or even personal feelings.  These things can stimulate and encourage our relationship with God, but if you stop going to Mass because of a change in one of these things then you are probably more attached to that preference over God who reveals Himself at Mass.  In order for our relationship with God to be authentic we have to give something back to God in spite of our personal preferences. The first thing that we can give to him is our time and presence.  So actually going to Mass and sitting through it is the first necessary step.  It is not the only step; this is a child’s first step. The next step is engaging in the Mass. Listening actively to the Word of God; trying to understand how this reading is speaking to you today.  To the homily trying to see how its message affects you personally.  Participating with the responses; actually thinking about what each of the responses mean; many of them are responses of gratitude to God for his many gifts to us.  How often are we grateful? When receiving communion do we actually think about what we are receiving?  This is the beginning of our steps into adulthood. Let us think about this and let us ask, together, for more light and fortitude to be more engaged! Fr Agustin

No hay comentarios: