sábado, 26 de noviembre de 2011

FIRST SUNDAY OF ADVENT


My dear brothers in the Lord, today we celebrate the first Sunday of Advent, a time of silence and reflection, of meditation and self-examination. Let me share with you a text published by the Bishops of Canada, I am sure it will be of great help to all in this time of preparation for Christmas. As you have heard many times, my wish is that our parish will grow ever more in love for the Eucharist.  Peace and blessings, Fr Agustin, Pastor.

 
Advent, Eucharistic presence 
And silence

(I)
«A group of rabbinical students were once arguing about the meaning of a biblical text. They appealed to their teacher who told them to show him the page. “What do you see here?” he asked. “The words we are discussing,” they replied. “These black marks on the page,” the old rabbi said, “contain half the meaning of the passage. The other half is in the white spaces between the words.” This is the margin of silence around any page. It is also the necessary pause between breaths, the stillness between thoughts, the rest between bouts of activity. For a growing number of people today the Eucharist is a ritual whose significance is and has long been hemorrhaging. Let me share with you what I recently heard during a retreat I was giving in Sydney. A pastoral assistant from a parish in New South Wales told me that the priest there has actually done what Pope John Paul II asked priests to do and what the Guidelines of the new edition of the General Instructions of the Roman Missal reinforce. He has restored liturgical silence to the worship of his parish. I was surprised, not at this per se, but by the degree. They have silences after the readings, five minutes after the homily and fifteen minutes at communion. I asked how the people responded and was told that nobody has walked out and many are expressing their approval. I don’t, however, want to reduce this subject to the number of minutes of silence – and for good reason. I think it is significant that an ordinary Sunday parish congregation can be introduced to this degree of silence and enjoy it. Meister Eckart typically said that ‘there is nothing so much like God as silence.’ Mother Teresa, who insisted on the centrality of two hours of silent prayer for the life of her apostolic sisters, typically said that ‘silence is God speaking to us.’ Each of these sayings illustrates a way of understanding the meaning of silence»[1]


[1] Published by the Canadian Conference of Catholic Bishops on their web site: http://www.cccb.ca/

No hay comentarios: