jueves, 25 de octubre de 2012

Culture of complaining?


My dear brothers and sisters, last Sunday, something happened that apparently is not important, and indeed is not important but it has given me much to think about in the days after. Being distracted at the end of the Mass I forgot to give time to our commentator to say the regular announcements. At the end of Mass I just recited the closing prayer, I gave the blessing and I dismissed the assembly. So far so good. Or apparently. When I stood for a moment at the door to shake hands and say goodbye to my parishioners, more than five people called my attention to my error. I thanked him. Some of our people were to get coffee and breakfast at the parish center and in a very nice way they commented my small mistake. So far so good. No big deal. On Monday morning, there were two messages in the mailbox of my office asking why I had forgotten the announcements on Sunday morning. So far so good. No big deal. Last Tuesday after the evening Mass, a person (nice person indeed; she is a sweet lady) asked me if I was going to remove the announcements forever. This succession of these small details has led me to wonder if in our community we are focusing on what is important, or whether we are only staying "in the shell of things", I mean, if we descend into the depths of the Eucharistic celebration or we were only on the surface. In short: I wonder if we are not living in a superficial way. I wished that at least two people asked me about the new saints of the Catholic Church, or about the study sessions we have organized on Sunday evening once a month to better understand the documents of Second Vatican Council, or even had a word of thanks and appreciation for the seminarians and our altar servers…  My brother, my sister, forgetting the announcements at the end of the Mass is not a tragedy, it's not the end of the world or the collapse of the parish, especially because the essence of the Mass (the transubstantiation, which is the conversion of bread and wine into the Body and Blood of the Lord through the Holy Spirit's action) was made! I've often wondered over the last days if the culture of complaint will not have been getting slowly into the mysteries of our faith. Evaluating the performance of a car is a good thing. Evaluating the performance of a company is a wonderful thing. When we attend the celebration of the mysteries of our faith with a critical attitude, or giving too much attention to the outside and not paying attention to the fundamentals may weaken our spirit. Our prayer today is that these words of Jesus will never come true in our community: These people honor me with their lips, but their hearts are far from me[1]. Fr. Agustin, Pastor.



[1] Mk 7:6 

No hay comentarios: